Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Thursday, March 14, 2013

YABBC Under the Never Sky

This month I'm joining Alise @ Readers In Wonderland on the YA Blogger Book Club (YABBC) for Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.

Each month we choose a book, every week there is a discussion where we answer questions and talk about what we thought about the chapters read.

Since the discussions include spoilers of the chapters read, I'll include all my thoughts so far on the book. My blog is spoiler free except for the Read A Longs and Book club discussions.
Continue at your own risk, spoilers ahead

First I'll write a little about what I thought of the chapters read this week and then I'll answer the questions.

Next week's discussion is for chapters 21-30 on Mar 21

There are things in this new world that I still don't understand. "Nails weren't supposed to grow. Nail growth was regress. Pointless, so it had been eliminated." How and why did they eliminate natural things that happen to our bodies?
" 'Fine,' she said and frowned. Monosyllabicism. An Outsider disease, and she'd been infected." What?! It's like they're making any excuse to get away with whatever they're doing. I don't know how people believe everything a higher power tells them. Are we like that?
"And she was a Mole who lived in fake worlds. What did she know about surviving out here? Is this us? Are we not well prepared?

Favorite quotes:

"She fit in well then, he thought. A girl who never shut up."
" 'I'm a little shaky on the fossil record, but I'd say fifty to sixty thousand years.' " I don't have anything against Aria but she can be mean sometimes.
"Perry nodded absently, imagining a world without fear. Was that possible? If there was no fear, how could there be comfort? Or courage?" " 'Are you serious?'
'You've asked me that before. Do you Dwellers only joke?' "
This is funny, I ask that all the time.

Discussion

1. Roar hints at his feelings for Liv, but in their society, Outsiders with strong Senses are supposed to marry within their sense. How would you feel about this clear division? Having to give up someone you love because your Tribe didn't approve of the match?
I wouldn't like that at all, how does a marriage work without love? But doesn't this still happen in our world? In a way is a realistic and makes you wonder if the people that live there feel it's normal or they'd want a way out.

2. Do you think Aria was justified in being angry at Perry because she knew she was upset and didn't say anything? Or do you take Perry's side, because it wasn't really his place? Would she have taken his sympathy, anyway!
I don't understand why she was so mad, I mean it's not like he could stop it. So he knew how she was feeling, isn't that what we all want? For them to stop asking what's wrong? It's not like she expected him to do something, for the first part he barely talked to her, he didn't like her and she knew. I take Perry's side, it wasn't his fault and she kept being mean to him too.

3. How do you feel about the developing relationships between all the characters so far? Would you say the development is moving at a realistic, steady pace?
Their relationships are weird, I don't know if that's how it happens in real life. Maybe it's different for everyone, but I think being alone in the middle of nowhere it's what makes them focus only on each other so it has to move differently.

4. Would you have helped Cinder like Perry made Roar do? Even after you saw his strange display of power?
Yes, it seems like Cinder couldn't help what was happening and he felt bad for what had happened, his reaction was self defense. If you stay on his good side he probably wont harm you, so why not help him?

5. Why do you think Aria is softening up to Perry and vice versa?
After his hand got burnt? I mean Aria, because Perry's been trying longer, I think he noticed she was really different from the Dwellers that took Talon. I don't know how Aria thinks, she acts like a teenager, well, she is one, so her mood changes often. I think she likes him but doesn't want to admit it and it was easier to get mad. Now she sees him injured so she has to help him, he's been helping her since they met.

6. Why do you think Aria all of the sudden started menstruating just because she was in the Death Shop?
That was really weird, what did they do to them inside? Does it have something to do with their DNA and that's why she dreamed it? If it did, maybe the Aether is stronger and is messing up with it, just like radiation but faster.

7. Do you think Perry's reaction to her first blood was when he first might have started to have some sort of feelings for her?
I think he liked her from the beginning but didn't want to admit it, after he saw how vulnerable and scared and naive she was, he probably started having stronger feelings for her.

8. He tried to comfort her, but she didn't want to hear how the Tribe woman "celebrated" such an event. Why do you think she reacted this way?
She was probably scared, that wasn't supposed to happen to her and now her life is changing, she probably does think she's dying.

9. Do you think Roar has ulterior motives in helping Perry and Aria?
He's Perry's best friend, isn't he? So he might be helping them just because of that. I hadn't thought about it though. Maybe there is something else he wants.

10. If you were facing the flesh eating tribe like Perry's group was, what would you do? Be like them and run, or face them?
They're outnumbered, I don't think they could face them and win. I think I'd go look for more people to help.

11. Why do you think Liv ran away from her marriage? Why do you think she didn't run away with Roar, like he wanted to?
I really don't know what to think of this.

12. Do you think Aria's life is really in danger just by being in the Death Shop or was it a myth to scare people from wanting to leave?
I think it was mostly to scare them but the Aether does look dangerous and it looks like it's changing her, maybe it is a bit dangerous for her since she's lived her whole life inside, probably without any immunological system, okay, she has to have some otherwise she'd be dead already, but maybe in the long run she might get sick like Talon and his mom. Or does it say why they got sick? I can't remember

13. Do you think Roar will start to have feelings toward Aria? Will Aria begin to have feelings for Roar?
It looks like he has feelings for her but he's supposed to love Live and I don't believe in loving more than one person lol. I think she was just acting like she likes Roar to make Perry mad or just because she was mad at him.

14. Why do you think Roar's first words to Aria were "Do you sing?"
I think he heard her singing when Perry and Aria were alone.

15. Unlike Perry, Roar seems to treat Aria with respect and doesn't look down upon her or the way she lived. Why do you think their behavior is so different toward Aria?
Maybe that's the way Roar is with everyone, he's more understanding and his personality is just different from Perry's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.