Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Fallen


               
There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.


I didn't expect any of it. My little cousin kept telling me to read the book so she could talk about it with me. It's the first thing we've read together (well, that we've both read, aside from Breaking Dawn). She first told me about the book about 5 months or so and I thought she had mentioned what it was about. So I started reading thinking it was about angels and something about a girl but I can't remember what else she told me. I must have blocked it out because as soon as I told her 'all right, I'll read it' I also told her not to tell me anything about it until after I finished it. So I start reading this and it is nothing from what I was prepared. Did we read the same book? I still haven't talked to her, I finished this yesterday and I haven't seen her, I need to go talk to her soon.

Most books I've read are narrated by the characters themselves, so hearing someone else narrating it makes me wonder if we really know everything the main character could tell us or if we understand more things because we are not just focusing on her knowledge.
Even though we had an external narrator here, we don't really know what's happening until the very end. Everything is full of surprises, I believed one character but then another one came and said something different so I kept asking myself, who is the bad guy then? Who should we trust and what is really happening? This was really confusing until the end, which was very exciting finding out everything. It was very different from my first thoughts and what I thought I knew was happening.

It was more than just angels, it was a very interesting idea the author had regarding the main character. I definitely want to read the other books to see what happens and how everything ends. How could something like this end?

I felt like I was back in high school, not that my school was like this but all their emotions and conversations and adventures. It was a really cool concept and how it evolved and all the little details that you get in order to understand what they'll reveal in the end.
This was not your normal love triangle. There was something though, that I didn't really understand. I don't know if it's because we'll learn more in the next book or if I missed something. Definitely something I'll discuss with my little cousin.

If you've read more than one of my reviews you can probably tell that I like to look at the good things the authors leave for us in their books. I used to believe that's what books were for; they all had a moral and something to learn or consider. That's another thing why I love to read, there's always something you learn or something that makes you wonder if we're doing things right or if we should change something.
What I found here was that you shouldn't judge people just by what you see or hear from others. There is always something deeper, sometimes is a good thing you're missing because you don't get to really know them. Sometimes there's a reason for why they act a certain way or why they're the way they are.

I might add some other things later after I talk to my little cousin and say 'yeah, I thought so too!' I also feel like I'm missing other things but I can't remember them right now.

Favorite parts:
"Cam was so much clearer, easier to figure out. Like he was algebra and Daniel was calculus." First time I see someone put it like that lol. And I thought I made weird comparisons. "At first the idea had felt so foreign, but now that she was getting used to it, she thought it might just be the most romantic thing that had ever happened in the history of the world." "She didn't understand what was happening. At all. And she didn't like it at all that everyone else did." That was me as well.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the first one in this series, but have liked less as I went along.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin hasn't read the others either so I only knew about the first one. I'll see how they turn out, hopefully soon.

      Delete
  2. It's cool to do that with kids. I enjoy doing it with my son. :)

    Glad to hear you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she's not so young anymore lol, she's 15 but she'll always be my little cousin.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.