Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Delirium RAL #2

This month I'm joining Evie @ Bookish and Rachelia @ Bookish Comforts on the Read-A-Long for Delirium by Lauren Oliver.

Each week they take turns putting up a recap of the chapters read and a discussion. This week is @ Bookish

Since the discussions include spoilers of the chapters read, I'll include all my thoughts so far on the book. My blog is spoiler free except for the Read-A-Longs.
Continue at your own risk, spoilers ahead
First I'll write a little about what I thought of the chapters read this week and then I'll answer the questions Evie and Rachelia posted.
The wrap up is on Feb 28 for you to link your reviews but also to share your favorite quotes and parts.

Next week's discussion is for chapters 15-21 on Feb 22 @ Bookish Comforts

Favorite quotes:

"But a little part of me believes that as long as he doesn't say it, it's not true."

"You came from different starts and you'll come to different ends"

Thoughts:

(talking about Hana) "and meanwhile, behind my back, she's been turning into someone I don't know- someone with secrets and weird habits and opinions about things we're not even supposed to think about" How many people think like Lena before being 'cured'? Hana apparently doesn't think like her. What makes others think like they really need a 'cure'?

"before they cut out half our brain." "the procedure works differently for everybody, and it isn't always perfect. That's why my aunt and uncle sometimes still dream. That's why my cousin Marcia used to find herself crying hysterically, with no warning or apparent cause." I'm really curious about what this 'cure' actually does.

"PHASE FOUR (FATAL)" This is a lie, we would all be dead by now. Do they not die?

We find out how the matching works "The boys will be submitting their rankings too; the evaluators will do their best to match preferences."

"people, swarmed the hospitals in record number, demanding to be cured" It makes m think something really bad happened for people to want it so desperately, or were the ones going people who had their heart broken?

"One girl is trying to avoid forty raiding parties of between fifteen to twenty people each, spread out across a radius of seven miles. If she has to make it 2.7 miles through the center, what is the probability she will wake up tomorrow morning in a jail cell? Please feel free to round pi to 3.14." Was I supposed to solve that?

Discussion
Lena says she is looking forward to the cure because it is a "chance to be reborn: newer, fresher, better". Although we don't have "the cure" can you relate to Lena?
Can I relate to her? As in would I want the cure? No, I was telling Nova @ Musings of a Blogder, I agree with Lady Antebellum "Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all". Love is not a disease, (now I'm going to quote Adele) "sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead". It doesn't mean I want a cure, I may have thought about it when I first read it in the book but I wouldn't want that in real life.

What events do you think shaped Lena's world view? Why do you think she is so eager to accept the cure and be rid from love once and for all?
I actually thought about this. She still has feelings, does she want 'the cure' so bad so she can stop feeling the way she does? Trying to erase everything that has happened to her?

Music plays an important part in these chapters -- when Lena goes to the party in the field she experiences been swept up by the unauthorized music and it moves her. Have you ever had a similar experience? If you were to make a Delirium playlist what songs would you include?
I'm not good with playlists and choosing songs, I guess I'll have to skip this one.

Carol said that believing in Invalids living in the Wild is similar to believing in werewolves or vampires, make-believe stuff, but then we learned that Alex is from the Wild. What do you think is really out there?
I think they're normal people but they live in poverty since everyone trapped in the states believe they're dangerous.

We learned a bit more about the society Lena lives in, particularly about the cure and the often violent raids. What do you think about the worldbuilding in Delirium after reading chapters 8-14? Why do the raids have to be so violent and humiliating?
I'm assuming all grown ups are 'cured' so I don't think they get to choose, they're monsters, they don't have feelings. They don't see that what they're doing is wrong. I'm guessing no one stops it because the parents don't care.

Which particular event do you think caused a breakthrough in Lena's perception of the political system and cure? When do you think she first started having doubts? What affected her the most?
Probably when she saw them kill the dog and that no one did anything about it, not even the owners.

Go check out the original post and answer the questions.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I loved this series so I can't wait for Requiem!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.