Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dear John


 An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who has captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love—and face the hardest decision of his life.

This is the second time I read this book and is still one of my favorites. I like the way Nicholas Sparks writes his books, I've liked all his books (the ones I've read). He's my inspiration and it's him who I look up to when I'm writing my book.

I like Dear John because I can relate to the characters. I feel like I'm there as I'm reading it. It reminds me so much of a personal experience and the feelings portrayed here are stronger and I understand what they're going through and feel like I'm going through them with them. I see so many similarities every time and I sometimes stop to remember my story. This book brings back so many memories.

Every time I read about the male character I think, there are no guys like him. I know I'm not being fair, I don't know every guy in the world and I think I do know some guys that are like him. But I always compare him to that one special guy and think: Why can't he be more like the main character? Why doesn't he act more like he actually cares (maybe because he probably doesn't) like the hero does. He always does everything for the girl he loves and always thinks about her; they are a rare breed that doesn't exist in our world. Or do they and I'm always looking in the wrong place?

Then I moved on to Part II
I first read this book when I was the main girl character's age (21) and I could understand everything going on, especially because of my personal experience (which I've mentioned more than I should) which is the main reason why I wanted to read it in the first place. It was so familiar at that time, now a lot of things have happened (in my life) and even though I'm only 24 (and 3 years is not a lot) I do think I've changed my way of thinking over those years. Now I feel like they fight over childish things and that she should grow up a little. That, life is not always like she expects and people live it and get through worse things and she's only looking at things from her point of view, being young and enjoying it. I'm not saying I'm old and I have a ton of experience because I don't, but I've had to consider things that make me think she's looking at things all wrong and I believe some adults would see it this way as well.

The end, I like it because it leaves you with a very important value (I believe) that I think we should all acquire. I know it's not always easy but it's something I'm familiar with and I know how it does help you see things differently, in a good way.

Favorite part:
"Last night could have been fun-would have been fun-but you had to sit around acting as if you wanted to shoot someone."
I think many of my friends could say that about me, (I'm trying to change) but when I read it I could see myself in that position and I smiled.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but I am a Sparks fan. This one seemed like it would be incredibly sad to me and I tend to shy away from books that will make me sad. I agree with what you said about liking coming away with a lesson learned and a good value added...I think it is am important detail of reading a book. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my review
      It is a sad book, I even liked the ending better in the movie than the one in the book (they changed that part) but I do understand why the book had to end like that.
      I feel that way about movies, I don't like to watch sad movies (except when I'm alone) but books, since I read alone, I do read sad books. But I don't like the feeling when I finish them. I have to find something to cheer me up.

      Delete
  2. I have to say I may just pick it up next months based on your review. Thanks so much for the share. I've never read a Nicholas Sparks yet but I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one when the movie came out and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the movie too, before I read the Lucky One, Dear John was my favorite out of Nicholas Sparks' books.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.