Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Paranormal Book


                            
I'm seventeen and he's twenty-one. That's okay... isn't it? He drives a Lamborghini. So what? He was born in 1462. Uh-oh. He seeks revenge, but there is one person standing in his way. Me.                      
On a high school trip to London, Madison Lambourne meets seductive stranger Johnny De Vere, who believes he knows her already, and is torn between love and revenge. Eager to learn more about this beautiful, lonely young man, Madison agrees to go with him to a re-enactment at the Tower of London. Dressed as a highborn medieval lady in a black velvet gown, she accidentally slips through a doorway that leads to her past. Knowing she will not last long on the streets of medieval London, Johnny must follow her... with devastating consequences for them both. A wild time-travel adventure full of love, lies, mystery and betrayal.
      I don’t even know where to begin.
      I like the book, I think this is the first book of vampires I’ve read (original vampires I guess because I read 
       Breaking Dawn and I’ve heard how a lot of people say that they didn’t like what she did with the vampires, 
       how she changed them). So I think this is how real vampires (in fiction) were supposed to be though I can’t 
       be sure.
       I guess this is the first time I talk about only one book in a post, I’ve seen a lot of reviews and I think mine 
       will be a little different.
       When I read, I look at the story, the characters and the setting. I like to read because I think it takes you on a
       journey where you get to explore different worlds and you get to meet so many different characters, 
       whether they’re real or not, it’s a way to escape life in a way (at least for me). This is why I read mostly fiction 
       (although you can learn valuable information as well). Last December I started noticing the different ways the 
       authors write and how it adds a unique experience. (I read six different dystopian books for the End of the
       World Marathon)
       If I find that the book has grammar errors and anything else some find unpleasant, I don’t really pay attention
        to that, I’m not saying that a book shouldn’t be properly edited. I just don’t mind, I mean not all books are
       published by professionals and some are self-published, you never know the reason why, so I try not to judge
       that, but everyone has their own opinions.
       Mainly I’ll talk about what I thought about the book; the characters, the plot and the setting.

       I read Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne for this January’s character: Vampires for the Paranormal 
       Reading Challenge hosted by Auntie Spinelli. I found it interesting from the first page but it still took me 
       longer to finish it. I think I stopped reading for a couple of days, though there were parts where I couldn't put
       down the book; I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I was disappointed with the way they reveal
        the vampire (when you actually hear them say the word/read the word), I expected more from this part of  
      the story.
        I think the characters are very familiar (but I have read many books with the same type of characters)
        the typical girl that likes the handsome guy who wants to do everything for her (he wants to be a hero). Also, 
        things move so fast (maybe it's only me and I don't believe in love at first sight or even after a couple of days) 
        but again, I've seen this in many books. I really don't mind this, it's just something I notice.
        I like how it involves time travel as well and how it mixes it with vampires. For me, the plot was great, the
        characters were good but the ending, let me just say that when I finish a book and think “what?! What 
        happens next?” It’s usually because there’s a second book that I didn't know about (this happened 
        to me with I am Number Four). I don’t know what else you could write on a sequel, I do think that the 
        story does finish but there is one thing that left me wondering about the consequences. But maybe this is the 
       kind of ending that some authors use, they leave to your imagination a small detail, perhaps not a very 
      important one.
    Looking at most of the books I've read that I've picked for challenges and book clubs, I'm starting to think I may not be so picky with books. But most of the books I've read for school (fiction, mythology, classics) I have not liked and I know of others that I didn't start (not for school) because they didn't appeal to me. I have judged books by their covers and titles. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.